Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween in New York - in the end I prefer giant sweet potatoes and tiny pears

Yesterday (Halloween Oct 31st) some friends and I took a break from studying, which reminded me why I need to study.

Halloween in New York is not like Halloween in Los Angeles. I am not even sure most people recognize Halloween in LA, except for my uncle David who recognizes Halloween on my behalf as a classy Corvette driving Elvis.

Personally - I would be studying for mid-terms upstairs with all of the lights off...inconvenient for studying... but felt it was bad practice to hand out candy to kids and goblin princesses. I am not one to promote dental carries and childhood obesity.

Fruits and vegetables should be passed out instead.

In New York, I am fairly certain most kids have gotten shoved out of the celebration so the ever more immature adults can dress themselves as: a giant boob (traveling in 3's ... this was coordinated by men), a man covered in blown-up latex gloves, a Jew dating a Nun, several men with only diaper-like things on, impersonators of the ever-more-forceful street evangelists with a, "the end is near" sign, and a tinfoil man or what I presumed to be leftovers from Gladstone's restaurant.  Despite not knowing if the street evangelist or the bum, seemed more theatrical than usual said one of my friends, were actual costumes - I do know one thing - - despite being around 35 degrees out, the cold did not stop the scantly clad from making a statement.

"Aren't you cold," I asked. "I am DYING!" - she said. Needless to say - still a creative costume. - Posing with friend Trisa on right.
While I am more apt to be dressed as the panda in the background - warm and a much better way to attract the men...(?).. this woman was BRAVE.


Some other happenings included:
The Parade in West Village which we accidentally saw twice due to walking in circles...it was worth it!


Street Break Dancing (or brake dancing? - I need to pull out my Urban Dictionary)

A restaurant for my people (nerds):

And a national monument...not so much related to Halloween.

Left to right: Jane, Trisa, Me ( I am a pumpkin..?)

 Brittany sleeping in the train....like mother like daughter!



At the end of the day all I really wanted were some really good crepes (thank you tour guide Anthony! and the random Russian guy who was willing to share his while we waited for ours)....and to return to my natural habitat:

Columbia

And Study groups generally organized by Kirk and including a GIANT sweet potato and tiny pears (thank you Ming!) - we all do love a good farmer's market! **note**this was not the best non-strategic centerpiece layout.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool blog, Brittany!! I love the mix of food, pictures, advice, research....a Cornucopia! Keep up the great work!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs are always so intriuging! I love them; keep them coming. The visual aid is even better :) hope you're enjoying New York <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit, we have even more in common, I have my BS in Dietetics and as a fitness professional by trade for over 20 years, I am with your desire for sweet potatoes and small pears. Help me out here, can we let people know we blogged via email? let me know g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dr. Keller...I have a few coming up that I am really excited about! Just have been busy with class work for the last few weeks. Thank you Andrea! And Gina...I am not sure I understand what you mean...I will e-mail out some of my blog posts if someone helped me with it or if I think they would enjoy it but typically I post on Facebook - - if you shoot me an e-mail at BrittanyKunza@gmail.com we can collaborate! I would love that! ps ...did anyone have difficulty posting a comment? I have heard people have had qualms with the system...

    ReplyDelete