Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Columbia University Medical Center in New York - Student Housing (the Towers) - - video tour of my appartment

It has been several months in the waiting. I apologize. Somewhere between mid-terms and finals I got lost in my biochemistry notes, only to resurface recently and get back to blogging! Due to guests coming for the holidays, the apartment was in tip-top shape and I thought it would be the best time to share it with the world.
My big-little Christmas Tree

If you are a prospective Columbia University graduate student on the Morningside Heights campus (nursing, medicine, dental, public health, nutrition etc) 

this will come in handy as there are mysteriously little to no pictures of the graduate housing options online. Feel free to contact me with any questions. For student housing, you can either be assigned housing (priority goes to those who are traveling from greater distances), or you can contact the housing office about a "J&S" lease. I don't know what the J or the S stand for but basically this circumstance allows the remaining tenant to fill the additional rooms in the apartment rather than the school doing arbitrarily choosing the roommates - - this may give you some more options BUT they fill up fast and housing may not cooperate right off the bat with maintenance requests. They will get the vacant bedrooms in great shape (new paint/waxed floors) but the rest of the house they consider the "common area" and not their responsibility.
Before bathroom = Yuck

Luckily if you visit the New York City website you can find laws for renters and tenants, you can find laws that justify your request and get the black mold/broken stove/thrashed walls (not always the case) taken care of.

In a prior blog post from August, I posted the before pictures of the apartment.

The Kitchen - -I apologize for my quiet narration, my roommates were home and I thought they would find it odd if I was talking to myself.
 The Dining Area and my many umbrellas and shoes - - mind you, much of this furniture was left behind by the prior renters. So please excuse our Hodge-podge of items! 
The Bathroom - - grandma was on bleach probation when we first cleaned this bad-boy. Black mold and all - - housing also stepped in to re-paint, new medicine cabinet and ripped out the strange torture-looking device that they claim was to dry clothes...hmmm.
The Living Room - - this room actually gets less living than the rest of the apartment. With first year dental students as roommates and my one year master's program ( Institute of Human Nutrition)  - - we have not had a whole lot of time to hangout in the living room....
 Last but not least,  maybe the only time you will be allowed into.....my bedroom with the fantastic view of the George Washington Bridge. It is very important to own a sweater that matches your desk lamp....

No comments:

Post a Comment