Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bum Hugging for Spiritual Health

Being away from my big Italian family means two things: significantly fewer birthday parties to go to at Tony's Italian Restaurant ( in San Dimas California) and a hugging deficit.

To some - this might be okay, but words of affirmation and physical touch are my love languages (the ways that I feel loved). This crazy talk comes from the book, "The Five Love Languages," by Gary Chapman. (small plug - this book is incredible for anyone who ever intends to have human contact. I had a notable amount of "ah-ha!" moments when reading. It really teaches the reader a lot about him or herself!. Check out the link below and there are more versions listed in my boutique if you click the link to "Brittany's Boutique" to the far right)

One option to fill the hug deficit - in a sort of mutualistic symbiotic relationship: Bum hugging.

Aside from being erroneous and not politically correct - I see many homeless people in New York City...every single day. Who is loving them? Symbiosis ( read again ) - it is the close relationship between unlike things. But, are we really that un-alike?

"But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads: 'He trusts in the Lord; let the Lord rescue him. since He delights in him.' " (Psalms 22:6-8)

 I think we are getting the, "turn-the-other-cheek," mentality confused. How many people per day to we ignore/not see? What are the possible implications. 

A recent text from a friend notified me of a suicide at UC Berkeley. See the article >  The Daily Californian :: UC Berkeley Fraternity Member Found Dead in House, Suicide Suspected 
One of the comments on the article from "Calguy" reads: "I knew him face to face. No we weren't the best of friends, but what if I'd reached out to him? Did anyone? ... People wear masks, and you can't always see beyond a smile or a laugh. Nowadays we're too afraid to tell the people we love, our friends, that we care"
I am not failing to account for confounding factors that may have led this young man to suicide, I am simply saying, open your eyes and SEE. Really acknowledge the existence of others, even those that society may scorn and make feel like a, "worm" or less than human. Everyone has worth - even those physically deformed can, if given the opportunity, greatly impact the lives of others- Nick Vujicic is a prime example:

 
 





Would you say Hello?

In a recent meeting that I was fortunate to have - set up by my Uncle David Kirchgessler - with Jim O'Brien, vice president of distribution and postal affairs for Time Inc. I noticed something wonderful. He said a sincere hello to every maintenance and service person that we passed in Time's expansive NYC real estate. Coincidence? I also saw a similar attitude of kindness in the successful individuals on Long Beach Island.

Folks - it is not faux pas. What is faux pas is arrogance. 
This is my MOVEment - I say hello and smile to almost everyone I pass when I go running. Mind you, I am living in Washington Heights so many people are not economically very well-off. Surprisingly - I get the strangest looks. Now some people are saying hello back. You never know when a simple hello and smile is enough to make someone who feels invisible - feel seen. Everyone has value, potential, and a purpose. What is your MOVEment going to be? My readers are world changers, I just know it.

----P.s. my Grandma Linda added me on facebook then messaged me as to why I hadn't accepted her as a friend. I was just savoring the novelty of the moment =)  

No comments:

Post a Comment