Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 10 – Thursday August 19, 2010

The Niagara Falls. I don’t usually start sentimental but I am going to.

I have been meditating on John 3:30 for the last few days – “He must become greater, I must become less.” When staring at the falls today from several angles….I couldn’t help but to reflect on this verse.


Incredible
 How big God is, it is not hard to acknowledge but it is difficult to live it. Introverted with no “me-time” to recharge over the last 10 days, I have become annoyed with mispronunciations of words, “GARMIN grandma not “Gramin!” I say in my head, indecisiveness even though I am notorious for being indecisive, and inexplicable happiness. Standing in front of those falls I realize how ridiculous my qualms and how I need to let God take-over my frustration. Really incredible. To me, the difference between joy and happiness is God. Happiness is temporary and fleeting, Joy is present amidst the hard times and the good times.

Love this picture of Uncle Sean and Grandpa G Man

Good times….”oh he’s a natural” gramps said…a WHAT?! .. grandma thought grandpa said “A**hole” hahah this was classic.

Anyways, today we went to a buffet. It was a success.

 I don’t know if anyone else thinks of all-you-can-eat situations in terms of success or failure. My criteria is this; leave feeling like I need to engage in hibernation and live off of my own body fat for a month and “just skip the next meal” to justify the gluttony = failure. Leave feeling content = success. This was a success…..UNTIL we stayed past breakfast, into lunch chatting and encountered my greatest fear - - an excellent dessert buffet. Soft-serve with skor bar...and some chocolate cake, crème brule, tiramisu, and various other baked goods were my downfall. However, any true buffet-er knows the backup emergency protocol – don’t drink any liquids. I followed this and left with a happy tummy and overall success. Phew.

After breakfast we went to see the falls via the ascendenator….yes that is what it was called. However we were going down a hill so I believe it should be referred to as the DEscendenator. This took us closer to the falls and to the land of the “-enators.” – favorites being the vacuminator and the impationator, strong resemblance to grandpa.
The Vacuminator

After the falls and hike up the hill the impationator..I mean grandpa insisted we see an IMAX even though that would put our ETA back and driving late at night. Even though the stuborninator, me, thought this was a horrible idea, it ended up being a great rest and way to learn about ridiculous crazy ladies who barricade themselves in barrels with a pillow, mattress, and magical color changing cat to challenge the falls. Is this what they did before Prozac?


We got to leavin about 3p.m. and drove right on into Buffalo “urine smell” New York. Feels like home. Going to dump the motorhome’s water and add fresh water and fuel, grandpa offered Beth a shower. I think this was a trick because, without telling her, he moved the motor home and I laughed hysterically thinking of enjoying a shower then being violently tossed out the gold lined accordion door - - not strong enough to support a person. Beth did, however, survive the move to later collaborate with grandma in finding a gun shop.

Although it didn’t actually exist, grandma and everyone are on a quest to get me a Taser. I figure just remind me of my bad grade on my biochem final and I could take out any threatening person no problem. Glycolysis, taser….similar.

Then we drove…for a long time. Stopping for dinner at a Cracker Barrel, I have decided that grits have officially been replaced with turnip greens in my mid-west-food-preference-list. Although I believe they too are doused in butter and oil ALSO with bacon, I warned Beth not to say anything so I could enjoy them in pretend ignorance. Bliss. Only 80 more miles to go and we will almost be there! Prayers for tomorrow would be greatly appreciated! Scheduled to sign the lease and move in, and organize a small riot upon refusal by hosing to re-paint and clean the bathroom. This is going to be interesting.

Drive on…

2 comments:

  1. re: the "vacuminator"...love it and, it's "vacuum" not "vacum". I love & miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh spelling is just relative ;) haha love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete