Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 6 – Sunday August 15, 2010

I don’t know how much more Dolly Parton in cassette form I can listen to … “silver and gold, time can’t be bought back with silver and gold.” I am not sure what her rhyme scheme is, but it is tragically catchy.

So last night, while camping in what I would consider a forest with an excellent wi-fi connection, I turned off the lights around 3 am to witness odd flashing outside the front window. Can there be lightning without thunder? I thought for certain that was it…or aliens. Both feasible so I decided to hide under the blankets like a true grown-up afraid of the dark. I am going to do well in New York.

Forrest creature
Here is the mysterious flashing forest in the day time


So it is the Sabbath - - in the Bible belt all the trusty Garmin found was Baptist, Christian, and Pentecostal churches. Grams and Gramps wanted Catholic. It has been a long time. I am used to Christian services and kind of felt ready, with all the grits I’ve been eating, for some good ‘ol Baptist gospel singing. I wonder if they serve grits in church as we praise the Lord with gospel…that would be amazing. We went to St. Jude church in St. Robert MO. I was shocked. The congregation was very diverse….and good looking but I have never seen so much plaid and stripes before!

On the way to Cracker Barrel for breakfast/lunch grandpa couldn’t figure out why people traveling in the opposite direction were flashing their high beams at him. Turns out we were traveling the wrong direction on a one-way-highway. Oops - -common mistake. Today’s grits mix in of choice - - baked apples in caramel.

Quick stopover at Lowe’s. A well needed break after driving a whole 20-miles. Finally got my hands on an incredible tape measure and the best news…I have found the perfect color combination. I was sad to see grandma’s dismal look on her face as I squealed with excitement that only coffee bean, vanilla bean, and green olive can elicit. She said ehhhh reminds me of the 70’s! “WHAT grandma!!!Wait consider the gold accent color.” Oh fiddlesticks…as she says…I am keeping my color combo!

So we drove a bit more and took another break after the next grueling 8-miles. grandpa stopped at a mule antique store. I have no idea about this nomenclature, but I have a strong aversion for antiques. Chomping on the 2-day-old huge gumball, we entered my nightmare. “A-las! They had the perfect King Arthur sword…just what I need for the apartment in New York. Forget pepper spray, I will carry a mid-evil sword. All I know is that I am thankful I had my tape measure to get the dimensions on this bad-boy!
Necessary

Driving into St. Louis….no I did not phonetically confuse it with “St. loueese” Sam haha, Finally a city reminiscent of LA; high-rises, crime, and all. The Arch is AMAZING! After trying to find a place to park and walking near the Mississippi towards it to get a picture, we passed by a big SUV being dusted for fingerprints. Turns out an officer from Iowa had his car broken into and his gun and other things stolen. As the 4th car broken into today, I felt bad for the guy but re-routed back for the motor home and figured I could find a picture of the Arch online but can’t replace all of my strategically chosen underwear.
Arches from afar....guarding my underwear
I believe this is the MLK bridge over the Mississippi River

We drove more, ate stuff and here I am falling asleep. Again there is an odd light outside of the front window, but this time it is the comforting glow of the Wal-Mart sign in the Illinois sky. Good night all - - no more Chiggers to worry about. Sometimes I love concrete. … Drive on…

No comments:

Post a Comment